A few days ago, I decided that I’d very much like to shave my incredibly long hair off.
Why the hell would I do such a thing?
- Whilst eating a big bowl of spaghetti a few days, my luscious locks got tangled up in the fork. This happens a lot.
- Pretty much every item I’ve ever knitted or crocheted has some extra keratin in it. In the past, I liked to think it made a fluffy hat that little bit more special. Now it’s just annoying.
- Sometimes I wake up choking, because I’m smothered in my own hair.
- It’s a bastard to hoover now that I have a carpeted floor in my bedroom.
- It takes about an hour to dry, using a hair dryer. And about 3 hours to dry without.
- I had short hair as a teenager and it looked pretty badass.
- There might be some control issues at play here after discovering that there are only a few areas in my life in which I have complete control. This is something my mum suggested to me.
- It means I can totally dress up as Halle Berry in Catwoman more often (mediocre film, great character/costume design – Sharon Stone looked great and you know it).
- I’ve had long hair for a couple of years now and felt like a change.
- I’m donating it to a really wonderful charity, The Little Princess Trust, who provide real hair wigs for children suffering hair loss as a result of cancer treatment.
Yes, I’m fully aware that points 1, 2, 3, and 9 could be solved by the clever application of hair gadgets. I own many hair things – pink things, glittery things, spiky things, stretchy things, sharp and dangerous things, all manner of contraptions to make my hair look different every day. Why bother putting stuff like that in your hair when you could just… you know… get rid of it instead?
This is the style I’m going for:
I chose this style mainly because it allows me to donate as much of my hair as possible to the Little Princess Trust, but also because it’s quite versatile. I had something similar when I was a bit younger, just not shaved, so I’m not too bothered about the aesthetics. I have a good shaped cranium!
The appointment with the hairdresser is all booked up for tomorrow (Saturday 6th Feb) at 1pm in Croydon. Providing I can teach my mum how to use my iPhone, we’ll put pictures up showing how I’m doing. Get ready to see a grown woman cry for a good cause!
If you’re able to, please sponsor me. All the proceeds go to this great charity and I’m really proud to be doing something for a good cause. So far I’ve raised about £130. If you’re coming to Westminster Skeptics in the Pub on Monday, I’ll be collecting more, so if anyone wants to donate, please let me know! I’ve also set up an events page, where you can donate directly to them. Please help! Your donations really do make a difference
Muchas gracias x x x